Vrikshasana - The Tree Pose: Symbol of the Universe
“I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree“
How to do the Vrikshasana?Stand in Tadasana or mountain pose
1. Bend you right knee. Place the sole of your right foot against your left inner thigh with toes pointing down
2. Externally rotate your right thigh so your knee points out to the right. Make sure your pelvis is not tilted
3. Continue to rotate your right thigh outwards, drawing your tail bone down to level the pelvis
4. Find your balance , gazing at point in front of you, join your palms in a Namaste position .
5. Hold for 2-5 breaths and repeat on the other side
To help with balance, use the wall for support. Press the grounded foot firmly on the ground.
For a more advanced version, straighten your arms above your head as you maintain balance. Relax your shoulders.
Imagine yourself as a tree, tall, calm, rooted.
Benefits of Vrikshasana
Improves Balance and stability (of emotions too!)
Strengthens legs, ankles, feet
Stretches groin and inner thighs
Practice this when you are restless or hyperactive